Mobsea Logo
Home

Gateway Arch

World Architecture

<
^
>

Gateway Arch

St. Louis Missouri
The 630-foot-high 192-meter stainless-steel Gateway Arch rises from a wooded park within what became the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Park on the bank of the Mississippi in St. Louis, Missouri. Taller than the Washington Monument in the national capital and twice as high as the Statue of Liberty, the sleek and seamless Gateway Arch now known as the St. Louis Arch is a major achievement of twentieth-century architecture and structural engineering. A decision was taken in 1935 to establish a national monument in St. Louis, Missouri, to commemorate the nineteenth-century westward expansion that pursued Thomas Jeffersons dream of a continental United States. A large tract of riverfront land in the older part of the city was acquired and cleared, but the project was interrupted by the countrys involvement in World War II. With the return to peace, in 1947 1948 the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial Association sponsored a design competition for an appropriate monument. The Finnish-American architect Eero Saarinen was awarded first prize. Work on design development began in 1961, the year of the architects death, the project being managed by his firm, Eero Saarinen Associates. Fred Severud of the structural engineering practice Severud, Elstad, Krueger and Associates undertook a feasibility study about the buildability of the daring concept, and Dr. Hannskarl Bandel generated exacting calculations for the weighted catenary an inverted version of the curve of a suspended chain that forms the basis of the structure. Bruce Detmers and other architects converted the mathematics into working drawings. The main contractor was MacDonald Construction, and the steel was fabricated and erected by Pittsburgh-Des Moines Steel. The first concrete pour for the massive 60-foot-deep 18-meter foundations took place late in June 1962 and construction of the arch itself began eight months later. The span of the arch is the same as its height, and the composite structure consists of 142 welded, stainless-steel-faced sections of equilateral triangular cross sections. The length of their side at the base is 54 feet 16.5 meters, and the sections are 12 feet 3.6 meters high at the top, they have a side length of 17 feet 5.4 meters and are 8 feet 2.4 meters high. The legs have double walls with an inner skin of 0.375-inch-thick about 10-millimeter carbon steel and an outer skin of stainless steel, set 3 feet 90 centimeters apart at the 400-foot 120-meter level, the gap between the skins reduces to less than 8 inches 20 centimeters. For the first 300 feet the space between the walls is filled with concrete above that, to the crown of the arch, the structure is braced with steel stiffeners. It is clear that the engineering design is highly complicated, but all that can be seen from the outside is the sheer skin of polished stainless steel. The wall components were fabricated and bolted together in Pennsylvania and transported to St. Louis by rail. On-site, the triangular sections were welded by highly skilled tradesmen. In July 1998 their specialized work was recognized by the American Welding Societys Historical Welded Structure Award. The completed 50-ton 45.5-tonne double-walled sections were transported to the site on a specially designed railroad car and lifted into place. For the first 72 feet 21.6 meters, conventional cranes on the ground were used above that, purpose-made creeper cranes handled the sections. In effect, each leg of the arch was a vertical cantilever and therefore had no need of scaffolding. But when the 530-foot 162-meter level was reached, a steel stabilizing truss was lifted into place and fixed to brace the two legs while the remaining twenty-one sections and the centralkeystone were located. The arch was completed on 28 October 1965. As the creeper cranes moved back to the ground, their tracks were dismantled and bolt holes in the stainless-steel surface were made good. In 1967 1968 passenger trams were constructed in the hollow core of the arch, to carry visitorsthere were 4 million in 1999to a 140-person observation platform at the top, where tiny plate-glass windows give access to views up to 30 miles 50 kilometers eastward and westward. The total cost of the arch, including $2 million for the internal transportation system, was $13 million. The building received the American Institute of Architects 25 Year Award in 1990.


<
^
>

Shwedagon Pagoda
Confederation Bridge Prince Edward Island
Sydney Opera House
Bedouin tents
Appian Way
Galerie des Machines Gallery of Machines
Hanging Gardens of Babylon
Angkor Wat
Abomey Royal Palaces
Maria Pia Bridge
Borobudur Temple
Semmering Railway
More ...


Test your English Language
What to Eat in Arunachal Pradesh
What to Eat in Himachal Pradesh
Cute Nail Art Designs
Benefits of Oranges
Benefits of Fenugreek Seeds and Leaves
Rules to play Equestrianism
Benefits of Cucumber
Most Extensive Metro Systems In The World
Benefits of Cloves
What to Eat in Meghalaya
Most Expensive Cars in the World
Weird Laws Around the World
Rules to play Shuffleboard
Exercises Ideas
Most Powerful Bikes
Solar System
Spectacular Hiking Trails Around The World
Spookiest Abandoned Places